Re: Missing patches again (@21574)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
October 31, 2003 12:02
Re: Missing patches again (@21574)
Message ID:
20031031200219.GV6287@plum.flirble.org
On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 07:55:35PM +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 07:37:16PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 01:23:17PM -0800, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> > > The following patchesa are not applied as of yesterday:
> > >
> > > a) The db-hash.t chunk at
> > >   http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2002-12/msg00568.html
> > >
> > > b) The debugger patch at
> > >   http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2003-09/msg01528.html
> >
> > We (p5p) are bad at this.
> >
> > Would it be a good idea if perl5 adopted the same policy as parrot -
> >
> >   *all* patches should be sent to RT, rather than the list
>
> So they can instead get lost among the 1400 unresolved bug reports? :-(

I *WILL* do something about that. Although maybe not everything.
Or all at once. Or before I leave my current job and have some CFT.

Although if anyone wishes to put together a viable TPF grant application
to do something about that, it will be considered.

> Personally I'd prefer the simple mechanism that if they haven't been
> applied after a week or two, the submitter should just email a reminder
> to p5p.

That puts the onus back on the submitter. I think that that is wrong.
"Hey we suck. Please remind us, because we can't do it ourselves"

Yes, the 1400 unresolved bug reports are something else I want addressed.
I hope that triaging will help reduce the incoming flow, which makes it
slightly easier to start attacking the backlog.

No, I'm not recommending mass cull of all old bugs to get the stats down.
That is wrong.

Nicholas Clark