RE: Another request (not for perl 5.8.2...)

From:
Orton, Yves
Date:
October 31, 2003 09:40
RE: Another request (not for perl 5.8.2...)
Message ID:
71B318898201D311845C0008C75DAD1C08961358@defra1ex2
> Remember, we don't just have to support the most recent versions of the
> most popular Unixen, we have to support...
>
>                AIX
>                BeOS
>                BSD/OS          (BSDi)
>                Cygwin
>                DG/UX
>                DOS DJGPP       1)
>                DYNIX/ptx
>                EPOC R5
>                FreeBSD
>                HI-UXMPP        (Hitachi) (5.8.0 worked but we didn't know
it)
>                HP-UX
>                IRIX
>                Linux
>                LynxOS
>                Mac OS Classic
>                Mac OS X        (Darwin)
>                MPE/iX
>                NetBSD
>                NetWare
>                NonStop-UX
>                ReliantUNIX     (formerly SINIX)
>                OpenBSD
>                OpenVMS         (formerly VMS)
>                Open UNIX       (Unixware) (since Perl 5.8.1/5.9.0)
>                OS/2
>                OS/400          (using the PASE) (since Perl 5.8.1/5.9.0)
>                PowerUX
>                POSIX-BC        (formerly BS2000)
>                QNX
>                Solaris
>                SunOS 4
>                SUPER-UX        (NEC)
>                SVR4
>                Tru64 UNIX      (formerly DEC OSF/1, Digital UNIX)
>                UNICOS
>                UNICOS/mk
>                UTS
>                VOS
>                Win95/98/ME/2K/XP 2)
>                WinCE
>                z/OS            (formerly OS/390)
>                VM/ESA
>
>                1) in DOS mode either the DOS or OS/2 ports can be used
>                2) compilers: Borland, MinGW (GCC), VC6

Add VC5 and VC7 to the Win32 compiler list and if you want to be pedantic
then also NT4 to the Win32 OS list.

Also I find this list to be interesting indeed. Is there an equivelent that
also has corresponding $^O values? And even cooler would be the breakdown by
expected installation base. I suspect that if you factored in the latter
then MSI support would be far more useful to far more people than
pkg-config. ;-)

On a more serious note, does anybody know if there are any good stats on
Perl deployment by version and OS? Does the Perl Foundation have any
research into this?

Yves