Finding things out about perl

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
October 30, 2003 13:33
Subject:
Finding things out about perl
Message ID:
20031030213321.GJ6287@plum.flirble.org
I seem to have spent most of my available time this evening reading
and replying to e-mail. This reduces the amount of time to hack.

May I remind people of some most excellent ways to answer perl questions
without resorting to mailing p5p, or directly to any p5p-ers

1: The repository browser:

   http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse

   maintained by Rafael, now with better blame annotation courtesy of
   Dave Mitchell. Blame annotation lets you see "who dunnit"
   (ie made changes to lines of source files)

2: grep on the Changes files

3: Google groups advanced search, which can look up messages on p5p by
   message ID. (Message IDs usually in the Changes file, and therefore
   in the patches shown by the repository browser)

4: grep on the source code :-)

5: the denizens of irc.perl.org can often answer questions.
   Beware - Internet Relay Crack is highly addictive.

You can also fight the glimpse search on
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/
Sadly that archive is not indexed by Google, but others are (so a regular
google search will find things), and obviously the groups search works
on p5p.

I've probably forgotten some.

Nicholas Clark