Re: Another request (not for perl 5.8.2...)

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
October 30, 2003 12:51
Re: Another request (not for perl 5.8.2...)
Message ID:
20031030205058.GC23763@localhost.comcast.net
On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 02:27:37PM +0000, Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões wrote:
> I think Perl should have the necessary modules in the core for other
> modules to detect your system properties like, for example, which
> libraries there are installed.

Yes, we would like something that could detect system properties.  However...

Any module has to take its knocks on CPAN before its considered for the core.
You're putting the cart before the horse by asking for core inclusion while
having no working code.

Additionally, the module you propose is not what you describe above.

Anything based on pkg-config is of far too narrow a scope to be useful
to Perl in general.  Its user-base is small and its non-portable.  Remember,
we don't just have to support the most recent versions of the most popular
Unixen, we have to support...

               AIX
               BeOS
               BSD/OS          (BSDi)
               Cygwin
               DG/UX
               DOS DJGPP       1)
               DYNIX/ptx
               EPOC R5
               FreeBSD
               HI-UXMPP        (Hitachi) (5.8.0 worked but we didn't know it)
               HP-UX
               IRIX
               Linux
               LynxOS
               Mac OS Classic
               Mac OS X        (Darwin)
               MPE/iX
               NetBSD
               NetWare
               NonStop-UX
               ReliantUNIX     (formerly SINIX)
               OpenBSD
               OpenVMS         (formerly VMS)
               Open UNIX       (Unixware) (since Perl 5.8.1/5.9.0)
               OS/2
               OS/400          (using the PASE) (since Perl 5.8.1/5.9.0)
               PowerUX
               POSIX-BC        (formerly BS2000)
               QNX
               Solaris
               SunOS 4
               SUPER-UX        (NEC)
               SVR4
               Tru64 UNIX      (formerly DEC OSF/1, Digital UNIX)
               UNICOS
               UNICOS/mk
               UTS
               VOS
               Win95/98/ME/2K/XP 2)
               WinCE
               z/OS            (formerly OS/390)
               VM/ESA

               1) in DOS mode either the DOS or OS/2 ports can be used
               2) compilers: Borland, MinGW (GCC), VC6

So while a pkg-config based scanning module will be a useful CPAN module,
its not likely to make it into the core.  Sorry.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
You're more radiant than a memory of breathtaking ecstasy.