Re: Another request (not for perl 5.8.2...)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
October 30, 2003 12:37
Re: Another request (not for perl 5.8.2...)
Message ID:
20031030203637.GA6287@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 02:27:37PM +0000, Alberto Manuel Brandão Simões wrote:

> I think Perl should have the necessary modules in the core for other
> modules to detect your system properties like, for example, which
> libraries there are installed.

This seems a reasonable position.

But for the general case of "this module is useful, it should be in the
core", my view is

1: CPAN works effectively as a distribution mechanism
2: most modules on CPAN are useful to some people at least some of the time
3: taken to its (il)logical extreme therefore we might as well include
   all of CPAN in the core. [1]

4: Decisions about which modules to assimilate into 5.9.x is the job of the
   blead pumpking (Hugo)
5: In my role as maint pumpking, I am only going to merge into 5.8.x modules
   which are already in 5.9.x
6: And only then if in my view it seems justified.

7: I can be swayed by reason, or by bribery:
     https://donate.perl-foundation.org/index.pl?node=Contribution+Info
   Bribes are non-refundable. I don't know Hugo's position on this.

> Do you guys do not feel the same way?

If the authors/maintainers of CPAN, ExtUtils::MakeMaker or any of the other
core build tools feel that it is a useful module to depend on then it makes
sense to me to bring it in. (see steps 4-7 above)

Nicholas Clark

1: Or at least Meta, which pretty much amounts to the same thing :-)