Re: How to tell if Perl has -DDEBUGGING?

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
October 26, 2003 11:55
Re: How to tell if Perl has -DDEBUGGING?
Message ID:
20031026105604.GA20185@localhost.comcast.net
On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 12:41:07PM +0100, Tels wrote:
> There is also to consider the reason why you would wan to hide your source
> code in the first place. There should be nothing so secret about source code
> that giving it to somebody else compromises security or something else and if
> a laywer or IP property rights councellor want's to tell you otherwise, shot
> them.

Your idea of altering the compiler to dump out the source as it reads it
in is clever and so dumb simple. :)  The only way I can think around
that is to ship the module with its own copy of perl with Filter::decrypt
staticly linked in!  Yick.

FWIW, the only time I ever had to deal with encrypted Perl source it was
a crappy commercial module that had a bug in it.  The company that supported
it was being too slow, I had a pretty good idea how to fix it, but I couldn't
get at the source!  What a nuisanse.  This was circa 1998 and I didn't have
my 31334 P3RL h4x0r sk1llz just yet to do any of the normal tricks to work
around it.

I haven't seen any encrypted source since.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Playstation?  Of course Perl runs on Playstation.