Re: Updating Perl to Threaded Breaks applications

From:
Arthur Bergman
Date:
October 25, 2003 08:31
Re: Updating Perl to Threaded Breaks applications
Message ID:
3EC971C9-0700-11D8-8867-000A95A2734C@nanisky.com

On Saturday, October 25, 2003, at 02:19  pm, Albert Whale wrote:

> I am attempting to update my Perl installation to permit threaded
> uses.  Specifically, I need this to support the Sendmail::MILTER
> package.
>
> My existing Perl applications do not work when the updated Package is
> installed.
>
> While it may not be an efficient implementation, how can I install a
> Threaded Perl package to support the Sendmail::MILTER package while
> permitting the existing applications to use the currently installed
> Perl Applcations?

Hi,

If you are using perl 5.8.1 there should be no difference between
threaded perl and non threaded perl for normal applications (I assume
you USE_ITHREADS), if there are they are to be considered bugs and
should be fixed!

However, if you want to seperate your threaded and non threaded perl
(there are several reasons for this, relating to speed and 3rd party
libs), I always compile threaded perl using a different prefix,
./Configure -Dusethreads -Dprefix=/usr/local/perl/581thr/

Cheers