Re: [perl #24204] Dupping STDERR for reading.

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
October 24, 2003 02:42
Re: [perl #24204] Dupping STDERR for reading.
Message ID:
20031024094130.2868.1@llama.elixent.com
John Peacock <jpeacock@rowman.com> writes:
>Matt Sergeant wrote:
>
>> You're absolutely right. It (qmail-queue) reads from STDOUT, not STDERR.
>
>Minor quibble; qmail-queue reads from fd1, which is typically assigned to
>STDOUT.

With perl STDOUT and fd1 are quite closely linked. There is a pile of
dup logic in doio.c which goes out of its way to keep STDOUT and fd1
identical. There are some messy edge cases which I never got to grips
with ...