Re: [perl #24259] POD of UNIVERSAL is dangerous

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
October 22, 2003 21:31
Re: [perl #24259] POD of UNIVERSAL is dangerous
Message ID:
20031023043051.GA3442@localhost.comcast.net
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:20:49AM -0000, Michael.Jacob@SCHERING.DE (via RT) wrote:
> The POD of UNIVERSAL has this line as example:
>
>  use UNIVERSAL qw( isa can VERSION );
>
> This should be either removed or there should be a remark like this:
>
> DANGER! "use"ing UNIVERSAL WILL break many CPAN modules. Do not do
> this, use "*isa = \&UNIVERSAL::isa;" instead or expect hard to trace
> error pop up...
>
> example:
>
>  $ perl
>  use IPC::Run;
>
>  use Net::SFTP;
>  "SSH2" is not exported by the Net::SSH::Perl::Buffer module

Thanks for your report.  I've hopped into my time machine and patched
UNIVERSAL.pm to avoid this problem. :)

Michael G Schwern        schwern@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
gigaconway: a hypothetical unit of mind expansion, so disturbing it
  is likely to change the fundemental nature of the universe.  Some
  contend that gigaconway events, while rare, are much cheaper to produce
  than antiprotons, nuclear weapons or even XML specifications, and start
  at US$60,000 each.  If you believe gigaconway events are indeed possible,
  please send your tax deductable contributions to:

    The Conway Fund,
    c/o Yet Another Society
    http://www.yetanother.org/
	-- Ziggy