Re: [perl #24250] "return" required in some anonymous closures

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
October 21, 2003 13:27
Re: [perl #24250] "return" required in some anonymous closures
Message ID:
20031021202649.GE10005@fdgroup.com
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:17:59PM +0100, Orton, Yves wrote:
> > The way I understand it now, is that the check for making this
> > special case is somehow wrong.  How difficult would it be to add a
> > check there that it would do the optimization if the current package
> > is "constant.pm" ?  And just not do the optimization otherwise?
>
> Lots of modules build their own constants using this technique to avoid the
> load time overhead associated with use constant. Carp::Assert comes to mind.

We're not here talking about named subs with constant values such as

    sub REAL_DEBUG  ()  { 1 }

but anonymous subs containing a single outer lexical that under some
circumstances is interpreted by Perl as a const sub factory (each time you
call it you get a new const sub).

Carp::Assert only appears to use the former, and there's no talk of that
feature going way.

--
Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow.