Re: [perl #24233] -I changed behavior between 5.8.0 and 5.8.1

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
October 19, 2003 04:47
Re: [perl #24233] -I changed behavior between 5.8.0 and 5.8.1
Message ID:
20031019114603.GU89417@plum.flirble.org
On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 12:31:50AM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 08:29:12PM -0000, long@robin.cc.ku.edu (via RT) wrote:
> > The behavior of -I has changed between 5.8.0 and 5.8.1.  I'm not
> > actually sure if this is a bug or not as -I is not fully
> > documented (IMO).
>
> Hmm, my reading is the behavior of splitting on : is its an undocumented
> feature.  The perlrun documentation says -I takes a directory not
> directories.
>
> A safe way to work around it is to use one -I for each directory.
>
> However, the code to do the path split appears to still be in bleadperl so
> it looks like the split behavior of -I was unintentially broken by patch
> 18102.
> http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse?patch=18102

It was intentionally changed. The splitting behaviour was never documented,
and was reported as bug 18066

http://rt.perl.org/rt2/Ticket/Display.html?id=18066

The split code remains because it is used to handle the PERLLIB/PERL5LIB
environment variables.

Nicholas Clark