Re: [perl #24204] Dupping STDERR for reading.

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
October 17, 2003 12:51
Re: [perl #24204] Dupping STDERR for reading.
Message ID:
20031017195113.GD89417@plum.flirble.org
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:44:48PM +0200, Abigail wrote:

> Whether or not it's hokey isn't the point. Fact is that one used to
> be able to dup STDERR and open it for reading, and now you no longer
> can. Neither perldelta nor perl58delta mentions this, nor was it
> deprecated, so I don't think this was an intentional decision.
> Therefore, I would classify it as a low priority bug.

It has to be either a doc bug or a code bug.
I think it's a low priority bug, and I'd like to be able to open
STDERR (and STDOUT) for reading. (And STDIN for writing).

If I've been crazy enough with my shell redirection to ensure that
fds 0, 1 or 2 are open for read and write, I don't see why perl should
stop me. But this is just my opinion, and I rarely do this sort of thing.

But I currently don't care enough about this to actually work out what
a patch would look like.

Nicholas Clark