Re: [perl #24204] Dupping STDERR for reading.

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
October 15, 2003 15:15
Re: [perl #24204] Dupping STDERR for reading.
Message ID:
20031015221453.GF25957@windhund.schwern.org
On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:07:03AM +0200, Abigail wrote:
> > Do we document that STDERR is a filehandle open to a tty?
>
> What undocumented features are you talking about?
>
> >From 'man perlopentut':
>
>        Perl's "open" function was designed to mimic the way comĀ­
>        mand-line redirection in the shell works.
>
> In the shell, dupping stderr for read works just fine.
>
> Furthermore, the ability to open STDERR for reading isn't a Perl specific
> side-effect; it's a UNIX thing.
>
> Finally, in Perl, including 5.8.1 and 5.9.0, dupping file-descriptor 2
> for reading works fine. This works ok:
>
>     open STDERRIN, "<&2" or die $!;
>
> and this doesn't:
>
>     open STDERRIN, "<&STDERR" or die $!;

Ok, I concede.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Ya gotta figure whatever you come up with is gonna be about as portable