Re: [perl #24204] Dupping STDERR for reading.

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
October 15, 2003 14:51
Re: [perl #24204] Dupping STDERR for reading.
Message ID:
20031015215100.GE25957@windhund.schwern.org
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:44:48PM +0200, Abigail wrote:
> Whether or not it's hokey isn't the point. Fact is that one used to
> be able to dup STDERR and open it for reading, and now you no longer
> can. Neither perldelta nor perl58delta mentions this, nor was it
> deprecated, so I don't think this was an intentional decision.
> Therefore, I would classify it as a low priority bug.

I don't think this was in intentional feature, either.

Do we now need to start deprecating undocumented side-effects that we don't
even know exist?

Somebody found an undocumented side-effect and made the mistake of using it.
Something internal changed to break that undocumented side-effect.  That's
the price you pay for using a trick.

Do we document that STDERR is a filehandle open to a tty?

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
AY!  The ground beef, she is burning my groin!