[ywarnier@beeznest.org: Problem with storable versions]

From:
Raphael Manfredi
Date:
October 13, 2003 09:48
Subject:
[ywarnier@beeznest.org: Problem with storable versions]
Message ID:
20031013181304.A7480@nice.ram.loc
----- Forwarded message from Yannick Warnier <ywarnier@beeznest.org> -----

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:57:57 +0200
From: Yannick Warnier <ywarnier@beeznest.org>
Subject: Problem with storable versions
To: raphael.manfredi@pobox.com

Hi,

I'm having a real problem with Storable.pm module in Perl (different
versions) which is not bound to any error but rather to the integration
of Storable.pm into Perl. As I looked all over the web to find an answer
and didn't get any answer to my emails, I'll ask you directly.

Exposing the problem:

I have been developing a control application which is meant to control
some scripts installed on different systems in a LAN. Everything is
working with Perl 5.6.1 which was used to develop them. Now some of them
have a standard Storable version which is 1.014, others have 1.012,
others have now (with Perl 5.8.1) version 2.08. You can surely see what
I'm heading to... OK now I'm exchanging hashes between the scripts and
my control application. Then when the hash is "nfreeze"-d with a 2.08
and "thaw"-ed with a 1.014, for example, it just can't get the hash.

Solutions sought:

The first thing I thought was that I could use Storable.pm as a local
library, copying the file and loading it with "use lib" in my
application's home dir. I tried that but it really seems to have a
problem with that (I also saw that there was some files in
lib/auto/Storable/ so I guess there is something harder I don't get
pretty well).
The second thing I thought about was to use a script to load the last
.pm version from CPAN... but that is a problem because I just want the
application to have one same library at every location it is working. I
don't want it to be the last one, I don't want it to be dependent from
the time I install the application.

Problem until now:

When I try to use that "use lib" thing to use the storable in my
application's dir, it just comes with an "undefined subroutine" error.

My Question:

I cannot find any solution to my problem, isn't there anything that just
happens to solve such version dependents problems?

As far as I know, you are a developer of this nice library, you should
know such cases and have an answer, shouldn't you?

Thanks for any solution/part of solution,

Yannick Warnier
Young Developer

----- End forwarded message -----