Re: [perl #24121] Perl5 configure does not run when LC_ALL=tr_TR

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
October 7, 2003 14:59
Re: [perl #24121] Perl5 configure does not run when LC_ALL=tr_TR
Message ID:
20031008000115.72754e13.rgarciasuarez@free.fr
ismail donmez (via RT) wrote:
> If your LC_ALL=tr_TR or similar ( like tr_TR.UTF-8 ) perl5 ( 5.8.{0,1} ) exits with
>
> Good, your tr supports [:lower:] and [:upper:] to convert case.
> I don't know how to translate letters from upper to lower case.
> Your tr is not acting any way I know of.
>
> This is because toupper(i) != I in Turkish but its big i with a dot above.

Thanks for your report.

The best fix is probably to replace the various "ij" and "IJ" in the
Configure tests for this by "rs" etc. (there's also a discontinuity
in EBCDIC between R and S, as for I and J.)

[Merijn, I can provide a patch if you want.]