This Week on perl5-porters (29 September - 6 October 2003)

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
October 6, 2003 04:53
Subject:
This Week on perl5-porters (29 September - 6 October 2003)
Message ID:
20031006134623.396cfe35.rgarciasuarez@free.fr
This Week on perl5-porters (29 September - 6 October 2003)
  It was relatively quiet in the aftermath of the release of Perl 5.8.1.

First bugs
  Unfortunately, the first bugs in 5.8.1 were found also. Some annoying,
  such as a memory leak when initializing a shared array:

   http://xrl.us/vwv

  and, more seriously, a bug with random numbers after fork() which
  basically cause each child to get the same random numbers as the parent:

   http://xrl.us/vww

  Fortunately, the upcoming mod_perl release 1.29, will take this bug into
  account when running with 5.8.1. More bugs will no doubt be found and
  more fixes will be made in the coming weeks.

Hidden Dependencies
  Johan Vromans found some warnings when installing 5.8.1 RPM's that
  indicated dependencies of core modules on non-core modules.

   http://xrl.us/vwx

  This thread turned into a discussion whether Perl should / could be
  responsible for packaging on different platforms.

   http://xrl.us/vwy

  Some consensus was reached in that it was felt to be a good idea to
  supply a META.yml file with each Perl distribution, which would allow
  packagers to more easily package.

  And then Ken Williams realized there suddenly was a META.yml in
  bleadperl. With incorrect information. But that all got sorted out:

   http://xrl.us/vwz

A bleadperl snapshot!
  Hugo released a snapshot and fires up bleadperl development again!

   http://xrl.us/vw2

Documentation patches
  A flurry of documentation patches started when Shlomi Fish returned to
  p5p:

   http://xrl.us/vw3

  As a side note, Shlomi also started some action to refurbish
  learn.perl.org on the Perl Advocacy list:

   http://xrl.us/vw4

64bit configurations
  Michael Schwern found an(other) difference between 5.8.0 and 5.8.1. This
  time it involves configuration on 64bit platforms. Previously, some
  configurations would silently fall back. In 5.8.1, they exit with an
  error.

   http://xrl.us/vw5

Attribute::Handlers: our vs my
  Jos Boumans reported a bug in the handling of attributes with our and
  my. Richard Clamp explained why "my" attributes are handled at execution
  time and "our" at compile time. But there may still be something amiss:

   http://xrl.us/vw6

In brief
  Abigail added TODO functionality to one of the core-test internal
  dialects of Test::xxx.

  Robin Barker found an oddity when using perl -V:'?flags'. The "?" makes
  it possible to search for any string, rather than the ones anchored to
  the beginning (because it makes the /^ optional).

About this summary
  This week's summary was produced by Elizabeth Mattijsen. Summaries are
  published weekly on http://use.perl.org/ and on a mailing list, which