Re: Hidden dependencies?

From:
Sam Vilain
Date:
October 3, 2003 10:16
Re: Hidden dependencies?
Message ID:
200310031816.32924.sam@vilain.net
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:37, Andy Dougherty wrote;

  > Still, if someone wants to generate *and promise to maintain* such
  > scripts for various distributions, I have no philosophical
  > objection to including them in some sort of contrib/ directory in
  > the perl source.  However, I wouldn't advise anyone to make such a
  > promise.  Here's one good reason why: Perl releases occur
  > infrequently.  Suppose such a script had been included in 5.8.0.
  > Would it have been reasonable to assume that distribution
  > packaging policies and expectations for all the included scripts
  > would not change in the 14 months between the release of 5.8.0 and
  > 5.8.1?  I really doubt it.

That sounds like the argument of a Debian developer ;).  It doesn't
need to conform to every single section of the full specifications,
guidelines and other anal retention particular to the target
distribution.  You're not targeting debian, you're targeting `a dpkg
based system'.

It's merely a "reference packaging" of the application for a
particular package mechanism.  Not even that, it's some reference
packaging scripts.

Distribution vendors can modify them via their patching mechanisms as
they see fit.  If the packagers want to include their modifications to
the source code base as development progresses, in such a way that
they don't interfere with users of other systems, then even better.

  > As a final source of confusion, the infrastructure surrounding
  > such control scripts must be able to handle at least these two
  > separate cases correctly:
  >     1.  The user wishes to *replace* the existing perl distribution.

This would be the default; blend in as a part of the OS.  For System
V, the default would probably be to put itself in /opt/CPANperl or
suchlike.

  >     2.  The user wishes to install an *additional* perl version (e.g.
in
  >         /usr/local, or a version with threads, or wherever).

Yes, and they would edit the build files where it has --prefix=, etc
to do that.

  > That's hard to do well.

Maybe, but the number of contributors and the length of time to the
next release should get around that.

  > Right now, you can download the debian/rules file for perl from your
  > favorite debian mirror and use that.

In theory that is true, however normally what happens is that the
extensions that the debian developer add don't work with the newer
version of the application.
--
Sam Vilain, sam@vilain.net

  Never invest your money in anything that eats or needs painting.
BILLY ROSE