Re: 5.8.1 64bit int config annoyance

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
October 2, 2003 12:09
Re: 5.8.1 64bit int config annoyance
Message ID:
Pine.SOL.4.53.0310021503420.20973@maxwell.phys.lafayette.edu
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 schwern@pobox.com wrote:

> My usual way to run Configure when I want 64bit ints is to just answer
> yes to all the questions about them, even 64bitall, without worrying what
> my actual architecture could support because Configure would correct me.
>
> *** You have chosen a maximally 64-bit build, but your pointers are only
> *** are only 4 bytes wide, disabling maximal 64-bitness.
>
> 5.8.1 now just dies.
>
> *** You have chosen a maximally 64-bit build,
> *** but your pointers are only 4 bytes wide.
> *** Please rerun Configure without -Duse64bitall.
> *** Since you have quads, you could possibly try with -Duse64bitint.
> *** Cannot continue, aborting.
>
> Well that's less than helpful.
>
> 19272, 19273 and 19278 seemed to have caused this.  Some reason why the
> fallback won't work anymore?

I'm too lazy to look at those specific patches in detail, but I think
aborting is a reasonable thing for Configure to do.  Each bit of
64-bitness adds its own set of platform-and-compiler-specific tests that
must be done and things that must be re-evaluated.  The scenario of
callbacks calling callbacks just gets too hairy to do right (if it's even
possible), and aborting may well often be the sensible thing to do.

Now it's entirely possible that in some circumstances Configure could
safely continue anyway, but I don't think that's true in general.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu