5.8.1 64bit int config annoyance

From:
schwern
Date:
October 2, 2003 11:34
Subject:
5.8.1 64bit int config annoyance
Message ID:
20031002113355.A26065@ttul.org
My usual way to run Configure when I want 64bit ints is to just answer
yes to all the questions about them, even 64bitall, without worrying what
my actual architecture could support because Configure would correct me.

*** You have chosen a maximally 64-bit build, but your pointers are only
*** are only 4 bytes wide, disabling maximal 64-bitness.

5.8.1 now just dies.

*** You have chosen a maximally 64-bit build,
*** but your pointers are only 4 bytes wide.
*** Please rerun Configure without -Duse64bitall.
*** Since you have quads, you could possibly try with -Duse64bitint.
*** Cannot continue, aborting.

Well that's less than helpful.

19272, 19273 and 19278 seemed to have caused this.  Some reason why the
fallback won't work anymore?