X<> and indexing PODs

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
September 25, 2003 13:55
Subject:
X<> and indexing PODs
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.56.0309251332380.23216@pc10.actcom.co.il

Hi,

at PTI we are developing a pod indexer currently called
podindex and Pod::Index (See http://podindex.pti.co.il/ )
that will generate a database of the pod files available
on your computer and then it will give you command line
and optionally a GUI interface to that index.

We are currently doing full text, TOC indexing (indexing
the =head entries) and our code also indexes the X<>
markups in the PODs. If I understood correctly this markup
was designed exactly for that - to mark words and expressions
that should be indexed - but was never (or rarely) used.
In 5.8.1/pod/ I grepped for "X<" and got 3 lines only.

In order for the pod indexer to give really good results
we need (at least) two things
1) write our code
2) put X<> markup on the PODs, mainly on the core documentation.

Writing the code we can do more or less. We can even distribute it
in some way. The problem is with the X<> markup and how to get it
into the releases.

First of all I'd appreciate if you ppl gave your opinion why
X< was never used and if you think it would be a good thing to
add this markup to the core documentation ?

We'd certainly invest some time to put that markup on the core
documentation if you think it is a worthy project but we would
at least need to get a hint on how to do it if at all.

thanks for your time

   Gabor