Re: Interesting - [drow@mvista.com: Re: A user's experiences with GCC-3.4 snapshots]

From:
Art Haas
Date:
September 17, 2003 08:20
Re: Interesting - [drow@mvista.com: Re: A user's experiences with GCC-3.4 snapshots]
Message ID:
20030916230357.67661.qmail@onion.perl.org
Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> Enache Adrian wrote:
>>> This is not a valid way to test the existence of a function, and GCC is
>>> correct.  You are declaring that there is an external symbol named
>>> setproctitle, and asking for its address.  The C standard guarantees
>>> that the address of a function will never compare equal to NULL.
>
> Does this mean that large chunks of Configure will start failing with
> gcc 3.4.x ?

That has been my experience. Building Perl with GCC-3.3 has been trouble
free, so I figured the problems I saw with GCC-3.4 were due to compiler
issues. After several iterations of Configure -> build -> re-edit config.sh
to set symbols to 'undef' -> Configure I was eventually able to build a
Perl binary.

Art Haas