RE: puts(foot) on is_deeply() and overloading

From:
fergal@pop.esatclear.ie
Date:
September 11, 2003 04:14
RE: puts(foot) on is_deeply() and overloading
Message ID:
410-2200394119318569@M2W048.mail2web.com
To:schwern@pobox.com, perl-qa@perl.org, perl5-porters@perl.org
CC:
BCC:fergal@esatclear.ie
Subject:RE: puts(foot) on is_deeply() and overloading

> Jarkko, unless you get a fix from Fergal RSN, please reverse the
is_deeply()
> patch from Fergal in the core.  I'll deal with the problem in the next
> version of Test::More which will happen after 5.8.1.  Sorry, Fergal.
> Also, please don't slap on any big DANGER or WARNING comments.  Its just
> a bug, not a radiation leak.

And what about the 4 other BIG HONKING BUGS that those patches fixed? They
shouldn't even be documented?

They are in order of severity

is_deeply({a => "str"}, {key1 => [], key2 => [], keyn =>[]}, a => "str");
# OK

my $a = [];
is_deeply("$a", $a);
# OK

push(@$a, $a);
is_deeply($a, $b);
# eventually will run out of memory and die and many OSes do not respond
well
# when something chews up all their memory

eq_deeply($c, $d);
# a reference to $c and $d will be held by Test::More and nothing inside
them
# will be DESTROYed - I forgot to document that one

The core test suite is saying "OK" when maybe it should be saying "NOT OK".
The overload thing is your call - it's your module - but the others are
very real,

http://mail2web.com/ .