develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2003

Re: Which platforms need symbols to export to be explicitly listed?

From:
Alan Burlison
Date:
Re: Which platforms need symbols to export to be explicitly listed?
Message ID:
3F2C4CCD.1040501@sun.com
Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

> All the DOS/windows like things:
>   win32, netware, wince, os/2
>
> MacOS (classic not new Unix-y one)
>
> AIX

I'd like to try using it on Solaris too - using a linker mapfile to reduce
the scope of internal-only symbols could conceivably speed up ld.so.1, and
therefore startup time.  However I'd be really worried about breaking
extensions that use stuff they shouldn't use.

> makedef.pl has become a mess - large lists of symbols have been
> copy/pasted about rather than the code generalized.
>
> However I _think_ the one true @layer_syms is used though I can't
> remember why they were not just added to perlio.sym

I looked at it and ran away gibbering.

--
Alan Burlison