develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2003

Re: Which platforms need symbols to export to be explicitly listed?

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
Re: Which platforms need symbols to export to be explicitly listed?
Message ID:
20030802232138.6033.2@llama.ni-s.u-net.com
Steve Hay <steve.hay@uk.radan.com> writes:
>I recently submitted a patch (#20203) to get PerlIO_isutf8() exported
>from the Perl library on Windows.
>
>I now need to workaround that missing function in existing perl-5.8.0's
>out there, which raises the question: which other platforms require
>symbols to export to be listed in this way in makedef.pl?  I believe
>that AIX ($^O eq 'aix') is one of them.  Is that correct, and are there
>any more?

All the DOS/windows like things:
  win32, netware, wince, os/2

MacOS (classic not new Unix-y one)

AIX

makedef.pl has become a mess - large lists of symbols have been
copy/pasted about rather than the code generalized.

However I _think_ the one true @layer_syms is used though I can't
remember why they were not just added to perlio.sym