Re: Warnings.pm ?

From:
hv
Date:
Re: Warnings.pm ?
Message ID:
200307291320.h6TDJss13049@zen.crypt.org
Elizabeth Mattijsen <liz@dijkmat.nl> wrote:
:I was thinking of putting the following code (courtesy PodMaster on PerlMonks):
:
:BEGIN {
:     eval { require warnings } or do {
:         no strict 'refs';
:         *warnings::import = *warnings::unimport = sub{};
:         $INC{'warnings.pm'}='';
:     }
:} #BEGIN
:
:as a Warnings.pm (note the capital 'W') module on CPAN.  This would
:allow module authors to use Warnings; in modules that are supposed to
:be able to run pre 5.6.

For the same reasons I expressed in the p5p meeting about a similar
module called 'warnings', I believe it has the potential to cause
more problems than it solves. I do not believe any one action can
DTRT here: you cannot backport a 5.6+ module by hiding the problems.

Hugo