[perl #23037] Bug in perl 5.8.0: localized LIST_SEPARATOR doesn't work

From:
Dan Moinescu
Date:
July 18, 2003 07:29
Subject:
[perl #23037] Bug in perl 5.8.0: localized LIST_SEPARATOR doesn't work
Message ID:
rt-23037-61313.1.01194510682902@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Dan Moinescu
# Please include the string:  [perl #23037]

Hello,

Below is a description of what I believe is a bug in Perl5.8.0

Setting a localized $LIST_SEPARATOR in Perl 5.8.0 has no effect on the list
interpolation process.
The following code fragment illustrates the point:

use English;
{
  local $LIST_SEPARATOR = "___";
  my @list = qw[ a b c d];
  my $x = "@list"; #$x is now "a b c d", not "a___b___c___d"
  print $x, "\n";
}

I've run the attached test script with the default perl 5.8.0 installed by
both RedHat 8 and OpenBSD3.3, with the same result. Running it on with perl
5.6.1 (as included in the default OpenBSD3.1 installation) produced the
correct result.

Please find attached the test script and the configuration output (perl -V) on
both RedHat8 and OpenBSD3.3 machines.

Best regards,
Dan.

url: http://rt.perl.org/rt2/attach/61313/45255/4f77f6/bug_demo.pl