Re: Data::Dumper release

From:
Ilya Martynov
Date:
Re: Data::Dumper release
Message ID:
874r1m5dv7.fsf@abra.ru

GS> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:11:03 BST, Ed Avis wrote:
>> My application needs the functionality of $Data::Dumper::Sortkeys (to
>> compare two data structures for equality) but I don't want to require
>> my users to upgrade to perl 5.8.0.  There is currently an old version
>> of Data::Dumper released to CPAN, would you consider making an updated
>> release?
>>
>> If not, would you object if I made such a release myself?

GS> Fine by me.  Ilya Martynov offered to do this a while back, but
GS> apparently he never did.  Or, if he did, the new version is not
GS> being indexed on CPAN.

GS> I just made you another co-maintainer of Data::Dumper, so you
GS> should be able to upload a new version to PAUSE.  You may want
GS> to coordinate this with Ilya.

First of all sorry for very late reply. I had certain problems with my
mailbox.

As for my first attempt to port Data::Dumper to 5.6.1 it failed. I met
certain obstacles I could not resolve myself because of lack of
knowledge of XS and Perl internals at that time, then I got busy and
got up with this project.

Anyway I just tried to do it again. Result of my experiments is
available at http://martynov.org/tgz/Data-Dumper-2.12.tar.gz

It is port of Data::Dumper from blead perl. It passes all tests on
blead perl and on 5.8.0. On 5.6.1 it fails 14 tests out of
373. Failing tests have something to do with utf8 strings and with IV
numbers. I'll try to fix it tomorrow if I'll have time.

--
Ilya Martynov,  ilya@iponweb.net
CTO IPonWEB (UK) Ltd