develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2003

Re: your malloc patches

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
June 22, 2003 10:06
Re: your malloc patches
Message ID:
20030622170603.GB24294@vipunen.hut.fi
> > union {
> >     ov_next = 0x55555555000dff04
> >     strut = 1.1945302445456924e+103
> >     ovu = struct {
> >         ovu_index = '^D'
> >         ovu_magic = '\377'
> >         ovu_size = 13
> >         ovu_rmagic = 1431655765
> >     }
> > }
>
> Looks like somebody tried to put 13 bytes into a 16=2**4-bytes bucket
> (^D means 4); taking into account that the bucket contains at least 12
> bytes of overhead, it should not contain more than 4 bytes.
>
> So the FILLCHECK_DEADBEEF()'s complaint is legitimate.  But of course,
> we should have detected this situation earlier than this...
>
> Hope this helps,

Well, a bit.  But given my limited understanding of the Perl malloc,
I still don't know even how to start resolving this problem.  I think
the best way forward would be if you got a Digital^WCompaq^WHP "Test
Drive" account in Tru64.  (Also the HP-UX boxes in there have 64-bit
capabilities, I believe.)

http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special