Re: Time::Local on CPAN?

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
May 31, 2003 13:43
Re: Time::Local on CPAN?
Message ID:
20030531224420.7f51947f.rgarciasuarez@free.fr
Alan Burlison wrote:
> Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
>
> > By the way :
> >
> > Did you know that some OS vendors still ship their latest supported versions
> > with much older perls ?
> > For example, SCO Open UNIX 8 comes with perl 5.004.
>
> This isn't always quite as stick in the mud as it at first seems - for
> example Solaris 9 ships with 5.005_03 (for backwards compatibility with
> Solaris 8) *and* 5.6.1 + patches.  At the time this was integrated into
> Solaris 9, it was in fact *ahead* of the then-current 5.6.1.  Don't forget
> OS release cycles are often longer and/or out of step with the perl release
> cycles.

AFAIK perl 5.6.0 was out when Open UNIX 8 was released.
I've not much experience with this OS, but so far, I found it slow, unstable,
and generally unfriendly. The fact that it comes with an older perl is only
part of my frustration. That's a dusty OS.

> I'm hoping to ship perl 5.8.1 with Solaris 10 (pumpking permitting, of
> course ;-), but by the time Solaris 11 ships, even that will be out of date.
>
> But as we are always told by the Opensource Thought Police, if you have the
> source you can compile your own version, right?  ;-) ;-) ;-)

That's why I provided patches to actually enable people to compile 5.8.1
painlessly on UnixWare ;-) ;-) ;-)