Re: [perl #22351] perl bug with 'e' substitution modifier

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 29, 2003 11:28
Re: [perl #22351] perl bug with 'e' substitution modifier
Message ID:
20030529192823.X1149@plum.flirble.org
Thanks for this report

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 09:03:20PM -0000, support@siverion.com (via RT) wrote:
> The following 3 line program produces incorrect results with
> perl 5.8.0 but it runs ok on 5.6.1.  The problem is the 'e'
> substitution modifier.  It shouldn't have been there in my
> code to begin with, but since it was perl should probably
> still handle it correctly.
>

> my $name = "chris";
> $name =~ s/hr//e;
> print "$name\n";
>

> Here is the expected output:   cis
>
> Here is the actual   output:   cchrisis
>

> Note:  I have applied patch 18271 which corrects a
> string substitution problem that gives Mason headaches.

I can reproduce this in 5.8.0, and it seems to be fixed in 5.8.1-tp-be

Jarkko isn't sure when 5.8.1 will be ready for release. Hopefully soon.

Nicholas Clark