Re: Install Time::Local

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
May 29, 2003 09:58
Re: Install Time::Local
Message ID:
Pine.SOL.4.53.0305291247430.2828@maxwell.phys.lafayette.edu
On Thu, 29 May 2003, Albert E. Whale, CISSP wrote:

> Andy Dougherty wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 29 May 2003, Albert E. Whale wrote:
> >
> >>I am running perl 5.6.1 on a Linux Mandrake 8.2 Server.  I am in need of
> >>the Time::Local Module (which is included in perl 5.8.0).
> >
> >First, please note that Time::Local was included as a standard part of
> >perl-5.6.1.  If you have perl-5.6.1 already installed, you should also
> >have Time::Local available from your distribution in some form or another.
> >It might have to be installed as part of a perl-modules package or some
> >such.  (I am not familiar with Mandrake packaging.)
> >
> Thank you for this, and I'm not certain that this is the only module I
> needed.  I'm reviewing the software installation for the exact modules
> missing.
>
> Ah yes, here's the reason that I started back upon the Time::Local Module:
>
> /usr/bin/pod2html: ./FS/FS/cust_bill.pm: cannot resolve
> L<perlfunc/"time"> in paragraph 242. at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/Pod/Html.pm
> line 1562.

[etc.]

> I have several of these issues:  Further investigation yields the
> following info:

> =item _date - specified as a UNIX timestamp; see L<perlfunc/"time">.
> Also see
> L<Time::Local> and L<Date::Parse> for conversion functions.
>
> Should I be concerned with these errors?

These are pod2html errors.  I haven't looked at pod2html in years, but I
think it just means that pod2html is unable to figure out what sort of
hyperlink to put in for the user to find the "time" entry in
perlfunc.html.  It's certainly not fatal, but, depending on what you need
to do with the HTML output, it might or might not be important to you to
fix it up.

In any case, it doesn't look like you need to install 5.8.0 here -- you should
already have what you need.

Still, if you're game to help debug . . .

> >Obviously, this isn't supposed to happen.  Is it possible for you to retry
> >building 5.8.0 from outside the CPAN shell?

> Well attempting to build using sh Configure in the source code directory
> also hangs.

> >It looks like it's gotten hung up on the csh-glob detection part of
> >hints/linux.sh.  Hmm.  Do you have any csh installed in /bin/csh?  Do you
> >have tcsh installed?

> [/usr/src/freeside-1.4.1rc2/FS/FS] ls -l /bin/*csh
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Feb  4 17:32 /bin/csh -> tcsh*
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       293880 Feb 23  2002 /bin/tcsh*

Odd.  Very odd.  According to your post, the last successful output was from
hints/linux.sh, where it says  "You appear to have a working bash.  Good."
The commands that follow that are  (where the shell variable csh=/bin/sh).
Since you're using tcsh, you should get the first line "Your csh is really tcsh."

    if $csh -c 'echo $version' >/dev/null 2>&1; then
	echo 'Your csh is really tcsh.  Good.'
    else
	if xxx=`./UU/loc tcsh blurfl $pth`; $test -f "$xxx"; then
	    echo "Found tcsh.  I'll use it for globbing."
	    # We can't change Configure's setting of $csh, due to the way
	    # Configure handles $d_portable and commands found in $loclist.
	    # We can set the value for CSH in config.h by setting full_csh.
	    full_csh=$xxx
	elif [ -f "$csh" ]; then
	    echo "Couldn't find tcsh.  Csh-based globbing might be broken."
	fi
    fi

> Does this information help?

Can you try running  csh -c 'echo $version' from the command line and let me know
what you get?

Another thing you can do is delete the lines I've quoted above from hints/linux.sh
and then try again.  (They are testing for a rather old bug that almost certainly
doesn't affect you anyway.)

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu