Re: Install Time::Local

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
May 29, 2003 08:48
Re: Install Time::Local
Message ID:
Pine.SOL.4.53.0305291128510.1627@maxwell.phys.lafayette.edu
On Thu, 29 May 2003, Albert E. Whale wrote:

> I am running perl 5.6.1 on a Linux Mandrake 8.2 Server.  I am in need of
> the Time::Local Module (which is included in perl 5.8.0).

First, please note that Time::Local was included as a standard part of
perl-5.6.1.  If you have perl-5.6.1 already installed, you should also
have Time::Local available from your distribution in some form or another.
It might have to be installed as part of a perl-modules package or some
such.  (I am not familiar with Mandrake packaging.)

The version in 5.8.0 does have a number of changes, however, so if you
want to upgrade to it, you certainly may.  It might be possible to just
copy the new 5.8.0 files to your 5.6.1 directory.

If you are interested in installing perl-5.8.0 from source, then you have
to be careful about exactly what you are doing.  Are there any key parts
of Mandrake that will stop working when you upgrade perl?  Upgrading perl
means you'll have to upgrade all the modules you already have installed.
Perhaps you want to install your new perl under /usr/local or some other
local prefix.  See the CPAN man page, particularly sections about
autobundle and question 3 under FAQ.  However, if there are
Mandrake-specific modules, you'll have to handle them individually.

The remainder of my message is only relevant if you want to install
all of perl-5.8.0 from source and want to figure out what was causing it
to hang.

> My problem is that the CPAN Installation (as well as the sh Configure of
> the source), HANGs.
>
> The installation actually gets to the following point and stops:
>
> You may give one or more space-separated answers, or "none" if appropriate.
> A well-behaved OS will have no hints, so answering "none" or just "Policy"
> is a good thing.  DO NOT give a wrong version or a wrong OS.
>
> Which of these apply, if any? [linux]
>
> You appear to have ELF support.  I'll try to use it for dynamic loading.
> If dynamic loading doesn't work, read hints/linux.sh for further
> information.
>
> You appear to have a working bash.  Good.

[HANG]

Obviously, this isn't supposed to happen.  Is it possible for you to retry
building 5.8.0 from outside the CPAN shell?

It looks like it's gotten hung up on the csh-glob detection part of
hints/linux.sh.  Hmm.  Do you have any csh installed in /bin/csh?  Do you
have tcsh installed?

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu