newbie CPAN usage question

From:
linda w.
Date:
May 22, 2003 14:43
Subject:
newbie CPAN usage question
Message ID:
000001c320ab$11c44e00$1403a8c0@sc.tlinx.org
I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how CPAN
is supposed to work.

I go into CPAN (using perl (5.8.0)) on linux (2.4.20 kernel/Suse81).

I use the 'r' command to see what is out of date and see

Package namespace         installed    latest  in CPAN file
Attribute::Handlers            0.77      0.78  A/AB/ABERGMAN/Attribute-Handlers-0.78.tar.gz

I issue command
"install Attribute::Handlers" -- says it downloads and builds it --
runs tests and everything seems to to ok. But when I run 'r'
again, I till see that I have .77 installed.

I've tried exit/re-enter, reread index...couple of random things...
but (I'm just using Attribute:Handlers as an example since it is
first on the list) seems no matter which module I try to install,
it will download it -- and if I try the same module it just,
already downloaded, built, ...well:

$<2>cpan> $<2>install Attribute::Handlers
Running install for module Attribute::Handlers
Running make for A/AB/ABERGMAN/Attribute-Handlers-0.78.tar.gz
  Is already unwrapped into directory /share/CPAN/build/Attribute-Handlers-0.78
  Has already been processed within this session
Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/multi....ok
All tests successful.
Files=1, Tests=52,  1 wallclock secs ( 0.13 cusr +  0.01 csys =  0.14 CPU)
  /usr/bin/make test -- OK
Running make install
  Already done

	So here is where I'm feeling really clueless.  If I just told
it to install version .78, and it says it did, why does 'r'
come back and say I only have .77 installed?  Seems like it should
be so obvious....but I'm obviously missing something.

Any kind help?
Thanks,
-linda