Re: That which is better left unsed: Removing language digressions

From:
Gurusamy Sarathy
Date:
May 13, 2003 22:27
Re: That which is better left unsed: Removing language digressions
Message ID:
200305140527.h4E5RqXj032606@smtp3.ActiveState.com
On Tue, 13 May 2003 18:16:37 PDT, Michael G Schwern wrote:
>The recent threads about perlsyn made me take another look at the Perl
>documentation.  It talks an awful lot about other languages to the
>point of sometimes obscuring the point: Perl.

I think you missed the point.  The references to sed/awk/C/etc are
rationale for why certain features are the way they are, and how
Perl improves upon than those other tools.  Removing these
references is tantamount to removing the rationale, and the useful
parallels.

>I've come to the conculsion that most of the direct comparisions to
>other languages in the Perl documentation are not particularly relevent
>anymore.

Sounds like you've got some religious axe to grind.  Feel free to
keep the axe, but stop cutting down the documentation!

I find the comparisons plenty relevant, and even useful for the
fast-aging hordes of UNIX sysadms who happen to know sed, awk
and C, but never managed to find the time to do perl.

Sarathy
gsar@ActiveState.com