Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'

From:
Edward Peschko
Date:
May 12, 2003 01:48
Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'
Message ID:
20030512034731.GA1524@TOSHIBA-USER
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 05:06:54PM -0400, Tim Fries wrote:
> > Short point - symbolic links not working on NT is a major pain in the #$#$#%.
> > Perl making them work (and work transparently) would be a big plus.
> > Anyone know why microsoft doesn't just bite the bullet and put them in? Is it
> > a limit in NTFS?
>
> With NT/2K/XP, you can use the function CreateHardLinkA or
> CreateHardLinkW from kernel32.dll to create filesystem-level hard
> links on NTFS volumes.

> Shortcuts, not hard links, are used by the Shell because of their lack
> of support on FAT32 volumes; and the shell needs to support FAT32 --
> and that you can't hard link between volumes.
>
> For the original poster, you can download a utility from
> http://www.hlm.inc.ru/ that might meet your wishes.

wow.. I almost missed this post... really helpful.. I have a couple of
questions though.

    1) is there a CreateSoftLinkW and CreateSoftLinkA..
    2) where can I find the documentation on the usage of these
       commands?
    3) does this support file as well as directory links?

Anyways, I downloaded hard link magic, and it looks like its only a gui
wrapper. And is there a command line tool to do this?

And finally, I noticed that - in win32 perl - link('file','file2'); is a file
only does a copy, and that link('directory', 'directory2') doesn't do
anything at all.

If you *can* do this at the OS level, would a patch to make link work by
creating hard links using these calls be accepted?

Ed