Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'

From:
Edward Peschko
Date:
May 6, 2003 14:58
Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'
Message ID:
20030506102053.A7217@mdssirds.comp.pge.com
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 04:05:14PM +0100, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
> Edward Peschko <esp5@mdssirds.comp.pge.com> writes:
> >
> >ok, lets get a little bit closer - how about the logic inside perl to translate  '/' to
> >'\' inside of perl code on win32 versa?  Do you think that's bad? And if so - given that
> >'/' is an illegal character in a filename on windows, why?
>
> '/' is NOT an illegal character on Windows "C:/path/to/file" works just fine.
> It is only cmd.exe that gets upset because it is using ye olde CPM rules
> that /w is like UNIX's -w (so dir /w \foo\bar is akin to ls -l /foo/bar )
>
> Sadly as cmd.exe is involved in system() and so on we do have to do conversions...

ok, that's what I want to know... *where* are the conversions done? I renamed this thread
to 'shortcuts for core', because that's really what it is. Yes, I'd like to use shortcuts
as a substitute for symlinks, but maybe its misleading to call them a substitute for
symlinks.

Anyways, I'd be happy to make this a module, except that there's no good way that I can
see to override `` and @INC, and %INC (as well as saying 'perl script.p' where
script.p.lnk is a link ). If I had a way of examining all paths at the source and
changing them (in a module) then I'd be happy.

As for cygnus et al and their substitutes.. eeaggh. What a waste of time.

Ed