Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
May 6, 2003 07:47
Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'
Message ID:
20030506150514.1635.19@bactrian.elixent.com
Edward Peschko <esp5@mdssirds.comp.pge.com> writes:

>ok, lets get a little bit closer - how about the logic inside perl to translate  '/' to
>'\' inside of perl code on win32 versa?  Do you think that's bad? And if so - given that
>'/' is an illegal character in a filename on windows, why?

'/' is NOT an illegal character on Windows "C:/path/to/file" works just fine.
It is only cmd.exe that gets upset because it is using ye olde CPM rules
that /w is like UNIX's -w (so dir /w \foo\bar is akin to ls -l /foo/bar )

Sadly as cmd.exe is involved in system() and so on we do have to do conversions...

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/