Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
May 5, 2003 00:37
Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'
Message ID:
6i4cbvctitsbdfao9mkms4m05v69idt7fo@4ax.com
On Sun, 04 May 2003 18:38:05 -0700, Robert Spier <rspier@pobox.com> wrote:

>> But that's the point - shortcuts == symlinks on windows. In fact, in
>> many ways shortcuts > symlinks. They are symlinks + a bunch of extra
>> metadata, and they are used exactly like symlinks on windows.
>
>See, this is where you are wrong.  shortcuts != symlinks.  symlinks
>are a _file system_ level thingy.  symlinks exist only at the
>application level.  (i.e. "Explorer" and things that use Explorer
>libraries.)  If Microsoft had intended them to work TRANSPARENTLY like
>symlinks do they would have implemented them that way.  Making
>shortcuts non-transparent was a DECISION by Microsoft which you are
>now second guessing.

You are absolutely right, Shell Links[1] are *not* supposed to work as
symlinks on Windows.  The closest you can get to Unix style symlink
semantics are NTFS Reparse Points[2], which unfortunately only work at the
volume and directory level, but not on a per file basis.  They were
introduced in NTFS version 5, meaning Windows 2000 and later.  I don't see
much value in special support for reparse points in Perl itself.

Cheers,
-Jan

[1] Shell Links
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_programming/shortcuts/shortcut.asp?frame=true