Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'

From:
Robert Spier
Date:
May 4, 2003 18:38
Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'
Message ID:
m37k969nr6.wl_rspier@pobox.com

I really think this thread should die, but
just... can't... let... it... go.

> ok, lets get a little bit closer - how about the logic inside perl
> to translate '/' to '\' inside of perl code on win32 versa?  Do you
> think that's bad? And if so - given that '/' is an illegal character
> in a filename on windows, why?

You're confusing naturalization/homogenization of features where there
is an existing equivalence to adding new features.  / and \ is an
equivalence.  fork/exec and CreateProcess exist for the same reasons.

> But that's the point - shortcuts == symlinks on windows. In fact, in
> many ways shortcuts > symlinks. They are symlinks + a bunch of extra
> metadata, and they are used exactly like symlinks on windows.

See, this is where you are wrong.  shortcuts != symlinks.  symlinks
are a _file system_ level thingy.  symlinks exist only at the
application level.  (i.e. "Explorer" and things that use Explorer
libraries.)  If Microsoft had intended them to work TRANSPARENTLY like
symlinks do they would have implemented them that way.  Making
shortcuts non-transparent was a DECISION by Microsoft which you are
now second guessing.

But can we end this now?  Please feel free to implement what you want
and upload it to CPAN.  If everyone oohs and aahhs, suggest it for
inclusion in the core.  And as I've said before - the people you
really want to convince are at ActiveState.  They carry a lot of
weight in how Windows perl develops, because they pay for a whole lot
of it.

-R