Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'

From:
Vadim Konovalov
Date:
May 4, 2003 17:22
Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'
Message ID:
004601c3129c$ab6c5e70$485fc3d9@vad
> ok, lets get a little bit closer - how about the logic inside perl to
translate  '/' to
> '\' inside of perl code on win32 versa?  Do you think that's bad? And if
so - given that
> '/' is an illegal character in a filename on windows, why?

windows API library supports both of those slashes, and perl sometimes
replaces it with each other mainly for its own purposes.

> My point is that if symlinks are supported on windows it makes my job as a
programmer
> easier. It makes the perl port more cross platform. It solves a need on
the system.
> It furthermore only affects the Win32 port.

Perl *must* read "lnk" file as plain binary file. Otherwise, simple script
that, say, performs some checks on *.lnk files will simply broke.
You will never get a chance to "slurp in" *.lnk file? File::Copy will be
incompatible with earlier versions? This will be a mess.

You will make life bit easier for a few programmers and simultaneously will
get a whole mess of errors and bug reports from others.

Write your own module and override perl core functions, if you must!

Vadim.