Re: $VERSION Update and Questions

From:
Abigail
Date:
May 2, 2003 16:41
Re: $VERSION Update and Questions
Message ID:
20030502234144.GF32208@abigail.nl
On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 08:58:11PM -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> Matthew O. Persico wrote:
> >
> >Wow, you are brave. Why pick 5.005_03 instead of 5.6.0 as a limit?
> >Wouldn't it probably simplify lots of your code to not have to deal with
> >5.005 format vs 5.6 format?
>
> There are still poor unenlightened souls who cannot easily upgrade past
> 5.005_03 because their platform vendor can't be bothered to rewrite the
> custom apps using a more modern Perl (like Cobalt RAQ's) or because their
> local admin won't admit a newer Perl might be better.  I was suprised to
> discover how easy it was to make the XS code work with 5.005_03 (we can all
> be thankful that the Compatibility Police are so vigilant).

This is valid if you are a true believer of the "There shall be only one
perl on your system" philosophy. I used to believe that, but I no longer
think that's realistic. What if you write a threaded piece of code, are
you going to "support those whose platform vendor can't be bothered to
rewrite custom apps using a threaded perl"? Same for 64bit integers or
pointers, perlio or not, Perl malloc or system malloc, etc.

I've seen many systems that have several Java environments running on
the same host - some different, some equivalent. Often it's because
an application either comes with its own environment, or because it's
demanding a specific environment. In my experience, it works better than
juggling all possible requirements from a bunch of applications into a
single environment.

I think this should be the case for Perl too. It should not be a problem
to have 5.005_03, 5.6.1 and 5.8.0 running on the same box. Technically,
it's not a problem. It's just the mindset of people.

Abigail