Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
April 30, 2003 06:06
Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'
Message ID:
20030430130652.2351.4@bactrian.elixent.com
Edward Peschko <esp@pyroshells.com> writes:

>Short point - symbolic links not working on NT is a major pain in the #$#$#%.
>Perl making them work (and work transparently) would be a big plus.

I short cut is NOT a link though - they have other semantics - someone
once likened them to

#!/bin/sh
exec another/path $1

which is closer to what they do in particular one of their semantics is
akin to

#!/bin/sh
cd some/path
exec another/path $1

>Anyone know why microsoft doesn't just bite the bullet and put them in? Is it
>a limit in NTFS?

You can run a POSIX subsystem on NT which has all the "required" semantics
(but no GUI! - so it does not get used much).

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/