RE: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'

From:
Horsley Tom
Date:
April 28, 2003 04:27
RE: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'
Message ID:
F5573A841216B94CB3CD1A7A0A1FD35612E611@exchange.ccur.com
> Short point - symbolic links not working on NT is a major pain in the
#$#$#%.

True.

> Perl making them work (and work transparently) would be a big plus.

False. Windows doesn't have symlinks. If perl pretends windows has
symlinks, it is lying to you. What the devil do you do if you *want*
to open and read the .lnk file (which I have often done when I
wanted to gather info about the shortcuts on my system)? The readlink
interface is utterly inadequate to real all the different kinds of
things that make up all the different kinds of .lnk files out there.

> Anyone know why microsoft doesn't just bite the bullet and
> put them in? Is it a limit in NTFS?

I have often heard the claim that NTFS can support them, but I've
never seen anyone actually try to do it (and FAT and FAT32 definitely
cannot support them, which is probably an argument for not supporting
them in NTFS).