Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'

From:
Edward Peschko
Date:
April 28, 2003 01:30
Re: windows, shortcuts and 'use lib'
Message ID:
20030427225924.GA4362@linux
> A better patch (imho) would be to make the "-l" operator return true for
> filenames which end in ".lnk", and hack "readlink on windows to grock the
> format of shortcut files. Then, one could write:
>
> 	use lib readlink('shortcut.lnk');
>
> Which would thus require no alteration of lib.pm.

I thought of this, the problem with it is that it isn't totally transparent.
If I have a script on unix, I still have to have some sort of wrapper around
use lib...

As for open (FD, "C:/path/something.lnk/stuff") working, well I wouldn't mind..
After all, perl already substitutes '\' for '/'...

Short point - symbolic links not working on NT is a major pain in the #$#$#%.
Perl making them work (and work transparently) would be a big plus.
Anyone know why microsoft doesn't just bite the bullet and put them in? Is it
a limit in NTFS?

Ed