acl based fs support: -x et al supporting POSIX::access underneath

From:
Stas Bekman
Date:
April 27, 2003 16:56
Subject:
acl based fs support: -x et al supporting POSIX::access underneath
Message ID:
3EAC6E3D.8070308@stason.org
Certain platforms/distros use acl based file access controls. We get requests
to use POSIX::access in addition/instead of -x, -w, etc. file tests ops. e.g.
replacing:

   -x $file;

with:

   POSIX::access($file, &POSIX::X_OK);

If replacing -x with POSIX::access(), will it work on all platforms that perl
is running on? My guess that it's not the case.

Given that, doesn't it make sense to have perl's -x use the access() calls
internally where access() is supported. Also applications don't have to be
rewritten to replace -x with POSIX::access() to support acl-based fs.