Re: FreeBSD thread vs. encoding.pm

From:
Dan Kogai
Date:
April 21, 2003 12:19
Re: FreeBSD thread vs. encoding.pm
Message ID:
345BE88C-742E-11D7-8ADB-000393AE4244@dan.co.jp
On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 03:50  AM, Enache Adrian wrote:
> You just discovered it now ?
>
> That's an old story
>
> http://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/73394
> http://nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/73931

It LOOKS like an old story and very likely related, but it is
DEFINITELY DIFFERENT.

I did apply your patch in 1.92 and I thought this problem was gone at
least in front of me as Encode maintainer since it did go OK on FreeBSD
+ thread.

> > bleedperl t/enc_module.t
> 1..3
> ok 1 - encoding vs. STDOUT
> ok 2 - encoding vs. STDIN - 1
> ok 3 - encoding vs. STDIN - 2
> > bleedperl -V
>    [snip]
> Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
>   Compile-time options: DEBUGGING MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS
> USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
>   Locally applied patches:
>         DEVEL18374
>   Built under freebsd
>   Compiled at Apr  7 2003 23:07:10    .

Back then relocating "close STDOUT;" to the end of the script solved
the problem but this time it did not help so it is different -- though
very likely related deeply.

> Run my little test from then with FreeBSD 4.8 ( not with 4.4 or Darwin
> )
> and see how it works.

Your script worked as you said on both OLD and LATEST bleedperl.

> I suggested you to put
>
> close STDOUT unless $^O eq 'freebsd';

And I instead relocated "close STDOUT" AFTER the tests so this will not
do any good this time.

Dan the (Encode Maintainer|FreeBSD thread novice)