FreeBSD thread vs. encoding.pm

From:
Dan Kogai
Date:
April 21, 2003 11:08
Subject:
FreeBSD thread vs. encoding.pm
Message ID:
34A34500-7424-11D7-B16F-000393AE4244@dan.co.jp
Porters,

There are several reports that thread is acting funny on FreeBSD.  I
think I have bumped into one of them.  I got

> ext/Encode/t/enc_module..............#     Failed test
> (../ext/Encode/t/enc_module.t at line 44)
> #          got: '1'
> #     expected: '0'
> # Looks like you planned 3 tests but only ran 1.

on FreeBSD-4.8 with thread.  Without thread this did not happen.  And
this did not happen on MacOS X w/ thread.

I have modified ext/Encode/t/enc_module.t so I can see the warnings on
demand.

The is the expected result.  See the warning line.
> > env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./perl -Ilib ext/Encode/t/enc_module.t 1
> 1..3
> Filehandle STDOUT reopened as FROM only for input at
> lib/File/Compare.pm line 37.
> ok 1 - encoding vs. STDOUT
> ok 2 - encoding vs. STDIN - 1
> ok 3 - encoding vs. STDIN - 2

And this is FreeBSD+thread

> > env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./perl -Ilib ext/Encode/t/enc_module.t 1
> 1..3
> Filehandle STDOUT reopened as FROM only for input at
> lib/File/Compare.pm line 37.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 185.
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar assignment at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 201.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 202.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 185.
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar assignment at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 201.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 202.
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar assignment at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 259.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 300.
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar assignment at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 317.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 318.
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar assignment at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 259.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 300.
> Use of uninitialized value in scalar assignment at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 317.
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at lib/utf8_heavy.pl
> line 318.
> not ok 1 - encoding vs. STDOUT
> #     Failed test (ext/Encode/t/enc_module.t at line 47)
> #          got: '1'
> #     expected: '0'
> # Looks like you planned 3 tests but only ran 1.

Looks like nothing is written to STDOUT and nothing is read from STDIN.
  Does anyone can see what is going on?  Does the recent PerlIO update
have anything to do with it?

Besides this and "0 ne perl", FreeBSD+thread seems bumpy recently....

Dan the (Encode Maintainer|Perl5 Porter|FreeBSD thread novice)