[ANNOUNCE] CPAN Upload: A/AB/ABELTJE/Test-Smoke-1.17.tar.gz

From:
Abe Timmerman
Date:
April 21, 2003 04:55
Subject:
[ANNOUNCE] CPAN Upload: A/AB/ABELTJE/Test-Smoke-1.17.tar.gz
Message ID:
200304211354.20666.abe@ztreet.demon.nl
The uploaded file

    Test-Smoke-1.17.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

	http://search.cpan.org/author/ABELTJE/Test-Smoke/

Here are the major changes since 1.16 (from ReleaseNotes):

    I have done a lot of refactoring and wrote loads of new code and
    documentation since v1.16.

    1   smokeperl.pl is the new way to smoke. It is a wrapper script around
        good ol' mktest.pl and mkovz.pl

        It also uses the backends to synctree.pl and mailrpt.pl

    2   configsmoke.pl helps you create a (mandatory) configuration for
        smokeperl.pl. This configuration is stored in a separate file, so
        that it is possible to have different configurations.

        One can think of different perl versions or different compiler
        versions.

    3   New ways to sync the source-tree (see synctree.pl and
        Test::Smoke::Syncer).

    4   Distribution now contains Mail::Sendmail (esp. for Win32)

    5   -Uuseperlio will now only do one (1) testrun and it's back in
        perlcurrent.cfg

    6   An implementation of Nick Clark's 'Hardlink Forest', with the extra
        --forest <directory> option to mktest.pl. This will change the way
        to make distclean to another (hopefully faster).

    7   The subject of the message containing the report has changed:

    8   If your platform supports UTF-8 locales you will now be able to do
        an extra pass of make test with $ENV{LC_ALL} set to such a locale.

    9   All the backends now have a front end script (synctree.pl,
        patchtree.pl, mailrpt.pl and W32Configure.pl

    10  There now is a --smartsmoke option that will exit after the SYNCTREE
        step if the the patchlevel is the same as before.

    11  Some hacks are in place to support the smoking of perl-5.6.2 to be,
        as it doesn't need the extended PerlIO testing we use for 5.8+.

    12  To configure Test::Smoke for smoking perl-5.6.x(MAINT):

            $ perl configsmoke.pl -p smoke56x

        To configre Test::Smoke for smoking perl-5.8.x(MAINT):

            $ perl configsmoke.pl -p smoke58x

    13  I think I finally got make install to do what I want.

    14  We now include the hostname of the machine in the report for easy
        recognition.

    15  The shellscript (smokecurrent.sh/smokecurrent.cmd) implements a sort
        of lock machanism, so that "overlapping" smokes are prevented.

Good luck,

Abe
--
 I think this requires more thought, therefore
I'm excising the "promise" from perldelta and replacing it with more