perlio now really the default in blead

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
April 21, 2003 01:16
Subject:
perlio now really the default in blead
Message ID:
20030421081555.GA28722@vipunen.hut.fi
So far Perl has been using the 'fast stdio' tricks if they have been
available (meaning that Configure has been able to snoop the structure
of the stdio buffers enough).  Yes, stdio has still been used even in
this era of brave new perlio.  I now (change #19286) introduced two
new Configure variables and a new policy with them.

	d_faststdio
		 d_stdstdio && d_stdio_ptr_lval &&
		(d_stdio_cnt_lval || d_stdio_ptr_lval_sets_cnt)
		 or in "C":
		 USE_STDIO_PTR && STDIO_PTR_LVALUE &&
		(STDIO_CNT_LVALUE || STDIO_PTR_LVAL_SETS_CNT)

	usefaststdio
		If we have 'fast stdio', shall we use it?
		For pre-blead (like, say, maint), the answer is 'no',
		because of backward compatibility.  For blead, the answer
		is 'yes', use 'perlio'.  THIS CHANGE MAY BREAK THINGS.
		Especially XS code may crash and burn because of FILE*
		in typemaps or directly in the code.
		This change is effectively the same as PERLIO=perlio.
		(PERLIO=stdio will still command Perl to use stdio,
		if we have 'fast stdio', that is.)

I have not yet tried to propagate this change to non-Configure lands,
let's first see how this thing flies.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special